Service to Local Community
We serve and support our local community in many different ways throughout the year. Please see both our seasonal projects and efforts taking place throughout the year below.
- HomeFront Drives
- Back-to-school drive - In August, we collect school clothes and school supplies/equipment for HomeFront's annual back to school drive. The full list of needed items can be found here.
- Food bags for those living in motels - We have received a special appeal from HomeFront to provide “Motel Friendly” food items that they can deliver to folks living in motels in Mercer County. There has been an increase in the population of folks living in motels in Mercer County, and HomeFront decided to start serving this population. They are distributing 100 motel food bags biweekly to about 4-5 motels, 200 motel food bags per month. If you are interested in making food bags or donating items, see this PDF for details of needed items. Items can be dropped off at the HomeFront Donation Center, 1880 Princeton Avenue, Lawrenceville NJ, Mondays-Fridays, 9 am - 3 pm, and Saturdays from 9 am - 12 noon. Pop-up cans and smaller bottles/containers of juice/mile are needed. Additional information can be obtained by contacting: Kelsey Espada, Volunteer Coordinator, HomeFront, 609-791-9557.
- Food Drive for Local Food Pantries Donations of nonperishable items may be brought to any outdoor worship service and financial donations can be mailed to the church by check or made online by indicating "Local Food Pantries" in the comment section of the online form.
- APLC Phone Tree
For the duration of the COVID-19 crisis, our Abiding Care Team is organizing a phone tree for check-ins with those who are homebound, in assisted living facilities or rehabilitation centers, or are otherwise isolated at this time. If you can volunteer to help with this effort, email the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Food of the Month
Please continue to join us in collecting food and other items each month for Redeemer Lutheran Church Food Pantry, Trenton. All donations of non-perishable food items are welcomed, though a particular food item is highlighted each month. Contact the church office at email@example.com for this month’s donation item. Please check expiration dates as expired food items are not able to be accepted by the food pantry.
- Christmas Sharing in the Neighborhood
For many years, APLC has been involved in providing Christmas gifts to those in need. Names are received from local schools and anyone interested can take an envelope and purchase the gift requested. Many thanks to all who have been a part of this.
- Winter Needlework Project
Donations of both yarn and completed blankets, hats, mittens, lap robes, and prayer shawls are collected to keep babies, cancer patients, and seniors warm.
- Trenton Community Book Drive
Donations of new and used children books for a summer reading initiative in the City of Trenton.
- HomeFront Diaper Drive - collection of diapers and wipes toward HomeFront's million diaper-and-wipe goal to serve those in need.
- God's Work. Our Hands.
This day is an opportunity to celebrate who we are as the ELCA – one church, freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. Service activities offer an opportunity for us to explore one of our most basic convictions as Lutherans: that all of life in Jesus Christ – every act of service, in every daily calling, in every corner of life – flows freely from a living, daring confidence in God’s grace.
- Lutheran World Relief Kits
Donate supplies for hygiene kits, help put them together, or help load donations on to a truck headed to the Lutheran World Relief headquarters to be given out where they are needed most.
- School Supply Collection for HomeFront
See the Church bulletin for a list of requested school supplies
- Baby Supplies Collection for HomeFront
See the Church bulletin for a list of requested baby supplies
- Thanksgiving Canned Goods
Each Thanksgiving, canned goods and dry goods are offered during the Thanksgiving Eve Service and given to Redeemer Lutheran Church's food pantry in Trenton.
- Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK)
Volunteer at satellite soup kitchen at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Trenton. Check the calendar for upcoming dates.
- Arm in Arm
Partner with the local community to improve access to nutritious food, stable housing and the means to sustain them. Check the calendar for upcoming dates to see when we'll be delivering food to seniors.
- Campbell Products: Bar-Code Collection
We are still collecting the combination bar code/picture of the Campbell kid from Campbell products (Soup, Gravy, Pasta sauce, etc.) to send to the Library for the Blind and Handicapped. Please clip the bar code and picture of the Campbell kid. Put the clipping in the envelope on the narthex bulletin board mounted near the coat rack.
- Rescue Mission of Trenton
Collection of clothing and household items throughout the year. Donations help the Rescue Mission of Trenton rebuild lives and instill hope in some of our area's most destitute people in need of shelter, food, and clothing. Bring donated items to the designated area in the hallway by the church office across from the restrooms.
- Abiding Care Team
The mission of the Abiding Care Team is “to carry out the biblical mandate of healing for body, mind and spirit for the benefit of members of the congregation and the wider community through listening, prayer support, and deeds of sustaining helpfulness.” Our volunteers are glad to help those members who are going through a time of transition or difficulty. If you know of a situation within our Church community where the Care Team could be of service, or if you would like to volunteer to help us, please contact us.
The Social Ministry committee would like to thank all the members, family, and friends of APLC for their overwhelming generosity and care in all of our outreach ministries. Thank you!
2220 Pennington Road, Ewing NJ 08638
609-882-7759 | firstname.lastname@example.org
609-882-7759 | email@example.com